Consumer Support Grant
In the State of Minnesota some individuals are eligible for a small monthly cash grant to assist in paying for goods and services, and occasionally payroll. These are assigned based on Minnesota Choices Assessment and is an alternative to Personal Care Assistance. MRCI-CDS acts as the Employer of Record for the individuals. In doing so, MRCI-CDS provides payroll services and withholds files and pays federal and state employment taxes. Also, MRCI-CDS reimburses the participant representative; vendors and other providers after services are provided and verified as approved.
Consumer Support Grant (CSG) Program
The Consumer Support Grant program is a state-funded alternative to Medicaid home care services of home health aide. The CSG Program provides clients with greater flexibility and freedom of choice in service selection, payment rates, service delivery specifications and employment of service providers. Parents, spouses, family members, trusted neighbors or friends can be paid for service.*
There are three models of services:
Fiscal Employer Agent (FEA)/Payroll Model
MRCI pays your worker at your direction
• You are the employer of your staff
• MRCI-CDS acts as the fiscal employer agent:
- MRCI-CDS provides payroll services
- Withholds, files and pays federal and state employment taxes -Purchases goods and services as the Community Support Plan dictates.
Agency with Choice Model
MRCI provides employee management services designated by you. You and MRCI are dual employers:
• You are the managing employer
• MRCI-CDS is employer of record:
- MRCI-CDS completes the background check
- Verifies employment eligibility
- Issues payroll checks
- Withholds and files employment taxes, furnishes employee with a W-2 - Provides Workers’ Compensation Insurance and Unemployment
- Supports you in your relationship with your employee.
• MRCI-CDS pays you, vendors and other providers after services are provided and verified.
• You pay the support workers, providers and vendors directly for goods and services received.
• You are the employer.
*Definitions from the Department of Human Services (DHS) Website
Client Directed Services
1961 Premier Drive, Suite 318
Mankato, MN 56001
This information is available in other forms to individuals with disabilities or other languages by calling us locally at 507-386-5600 or toll free at 800-829-7110, TTY users can also call us through Minnesota Relay at 711 or (800) 627-3529