Consumer Directed Community Supports
CDCS is a participant directed service model that allows individual service recipients the authority to control their own services through managing their budget for payroll and goods and services. This option is designed to give individuals the most flexibility and responsibility for directing their services and supports, including hiring and managing direct care staff. CDCS may include services, support and/or items currently available through the MA waivers, as well as additional allowable services that provide needed support to persons.
There are three models of services:
Fiscal Employer Agent (FEA)/Payroll Model
MRCI pays your worker at your direction
• You are the employer of your staff
• MRCI-CDS acts as the fiscal employer agent:
- MRCI-CDS provides payroll services
- Withholds, files and pays federal and state employment taxes
-Purchases goods and services as the Community Support Plan dictates.
Agency with Choice Model
MRCI provides employee management services designated by you.
You and MRCI are dual employers:
• You are the managing employer
• MRCI-CDS is employer of record:
- MRCI-CDS completes the background check
- Verifies employment eligibility
- Issues payroll checks
- Withholds and files employment taxes, furnishes employee with a W-2
- Provides Workers’ Compensation Insurance and Unemployment
- Supports you in your relationship with your employee.
Fiscal Support Entity
• MRCI-CDS pays you, vendors and other providers after services are provided and verified.
• You pay the support workers, providers and vendors directly for goods and services received.
• You are the employer.
For more information:
Contact Tony Engesser, Program Coordinator, 507-386-5606, Email
Forms and Employee Packets
This information is available in other forms to individuals with disabilities or other languages by calling us locally at 507-386-5600 or toll free at 800-829-7110, TTY users can also call us through Minnesota Relay at 711 or (800) 627-3529